fuel range

56 minutes ago, fishy67 said:

Hi All I have been using the range to empty gauge on the bike, how is this calculated? went to work today bike showing 66mls to empty-18mls later still 66 came home 71?? just over a quarter  of a tank left-WTF??

black magic :halvampire2:

went down to 30 today-fuel light on- brimmed it on way home only put 15.56ltr in(is tank 19ltr?) range at petrol station 200mls - I'm confidant it won't run out if it reaches zero but I am curious to know what the real range is-I guess there is only one way to find out!

So what was the mileage divided by the litres (gallons) used 

mpg ??

2 hours ago, fishy67 said:

dunno will have to start using trip meter as :huh:well

:swoon:

Range is calculated using what it thinks is in the tank and current consumption. The first thing still relies on a mechanical float in the tank - so 19th century. Secondly if you were riding normally and now ride like a granny the rate of cosumption will be less so range calculation could well increase.

53 minutes ago, ptolemyx said:

The first thing still relies on a mechanical float in the tank - so 19th century. 

What would be the modern type of measuring the capacity ?

What i noticed on some cars , if you fill up the tank while car is running, the fuel gauge may not show true amount right away.

1 hour ago, MikaS said:

What would be the modern type of measuring the capacity ?

Brim the tank, run till empty and brim the tank - no better way    (x litres / 4.54 =  x gallons )