Posted Images

sanctions are biting 

all Meerkat adverts have been pulled :zipped:

Meerkat ads pulled over Ukraine war sensitivities

By Russell Hotten
BBC News

Published
SergeiIMAGE SOURCE,COMPARETHEMARKET

The Comparethemarket price comparison site has pulled ads featuring the animated rich Russian meerkat Aleksandr Orlov from news bulletins and content about the Ukraine war.

The firm said it had reviewed its media strategy due to the sensitivities around the Russian invasion.

Orlov, and sidekick Sergei, feature in one of the advertising industry's most recognised campaigns.

The firm stressed in a statement: "The meerkats are fictional characters."

Comparethemarket continued: "They have no association with Russia and the current situation. We are continually reviewing our advertising to ensure we're being sensitive to the current situation."

Orlov does, however, hail from a fictional Russian town and subsequently moved to a London mansion, according to the firm's owner, Peterborough-based financial company BGL.

The meerkat ads have been running since 2009, and have been so successful that Orlov's "simples" catchphrase was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2019. The characters have spawned spin-off cuddly toys, sent as promotions to people who used the price comparison site.

Comparethemarket's move underlines how the Ukraine war has put a focus on companies with Russia links, no matter how remote.

There has been a social media campaign for UK supermarkets to show their support by renaming chicken kievs "chicken kyivs", using the preferred Ukrainian spelling of its capital.

And an American restaurant chain, Applebees, apologised and pulled light-hearted ads when they appeared alongside footage of the invasion.

Our biggest sports arena in Helsinki lost all its supporters as its owned by russians, they pulled down the signs just the other day.

I was thinking who i know from Ukraine, besides the brothers Vladimir and Vitalii Klitshko,

we have a Ukrainian Hayabusa rider living here, Vitalii Melnyk, he also has a turbo gsxr for drag racing,

then there is of course Louisa Khovanski , and the band Jinjer and their singer Tatiana Shmailyuk, she is so talented singer.

safe and secure in America

if he was in the UK he would be poisoned 

17 minutes ago, Martin said:

@MikaS

What is yours and people you know, view and thoughts now on Finland joining Nato.  Do you think Russia will turn on Finland again ?

Do you live near the border ?

The public opinion is turning for joining NATO

i am with president on this, it is not the solution, it only increases the tension with Russia

i hope Russia will go on their knees in some way and change their political order, it means Putin must go.

But if somehow they will get away with the invasion to Ukraine, which would be incomprehensible, 

it would put us on our toes, and push us towards Nato.

The stories tell that Putin has visited the lake area nearby years ago, 30-50km from my home, for fishing trip or something like that. So, as i dont have firearms , i dug out my old lifting weights and started training , if i come across Putin in these areas i could squeeze him to death.

Meanwhile, this is what we have served for him ,

what was your question again ?

5 minutes ago, MikaS said:

if i come across Putin in these areas i could squeeze him to death.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, MikaS said:

what are you firing at .... the moon :cool:

i saw no landing explosions